Tuesday, September 18, 2007

International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day (Basic)

このブログの日本語訳はこちら をクリックしてください!

John Baur and Mark Summers

On June 6th, 1995, John Baur and Mark Summers started talking to each other like pirates. They thought that talking like pirates was fun. They decided to make a new holiday, Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day.

June 6th is the anniversary of World War 2's D-Day – featured in the opening 20 minutes of the movie “Saving Private Ryan.” They decided it wouldn’t be right to talk like pirates on such a sad day. Mark came up with September 19th because it was his ex-wife's birthday, and the only date he could think of that wasn't something important like Christmas.

John sent an e-mail about the holiday to a newspaper. Stories about the holiday were printed in newspapers all over the world. Suddenly, Talk-like-a-Pirate Day became an international event.

Why do we celebrate International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day? What’s the point? Well, there is no point! But tomorrow, people all around the world will be saying "Arrr!" and "Avast!” – simply because it's fun! How about you?
___
How to Talk Like a Pirate
Ahoy!"Hello!"

Avast!"Listen to me!" It can also be used to show surprise, like "Look at that!" or "No way!"

Aye!"Yes!” or “Yes, I agree!”

Aye, aye!"Yes, I'll do that straight away!”

Me Hearties"Friends.” Avast, me hearties!"Listen to me, my friends!"

Shiver me Timbers! – "Unbelievable!” or, more correctly, “What the Hell!”

Arrr! – This means many things: "Yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," and "My team is going to win!"

___

Avast! Here be links!

Shiver me timbers! The International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day Homepage!

Arrr! Here there be photos!

Avast, me hearties! The Be & Me Talk-Like-a-Pirate Photos!

(This page is based on content pirated [stolen!] from The International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day Homepage! )

このブログの日本語訳はこちら をクリックしてください!

No comments: