Saturday, September 09, 2006

Live Long and Prosper!



On this day exactly 40 years and 1 day ago (I intended to make this post yesterday but...!), the very first episode of Star Trek was aired on American TV. I was nearly 3 years old. However, American TV shows were usually broadcast 3 or 4 years later in Australia. I was 6 or 7 when Star Trek had its first run in Australia. It was groundbreaking (trying new things) TV, addressing such taboo subjects for the time as sexual equality & liberation, racial descrimination and integration, the futility of war, and even the explotation of the working class -- dangerous topics for the establishment (government & big businesses) to allow in the middle of the Cold and Vietnam Wars. (However, as a 6 or 7 year old, these topics were not the main attraction -- I was mostly interested in the monsters!) For this reason, the program ran very late -- around 11:00pm (just before the TV stations used to turn off for the night!).

[Oops! My boy's sick. He's calling me! More to come -- promise!]
A Poster Promoting the 4oth Anniversary I Spied on the Kintetsu Line

No comments: