Monday, August 21, 2006

Mondayitis on a Friday!

In English, many disease names end in “itis.” For example, hepatitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis, appendicitis, bronchitis – the list could go on forever!

Across the world, many workers and school students feel a kind of sickness in their stomachs on Sunday night as they’re getting ready for bed or when they first wake up on Monday morning. Do you know that feeling? It’s a physical reaction by your body caused by the fact that you don’t really want to go back to school or work. In English, we call this sick feeling “Mondayitis” – a sickness caused by Mondays!

Now, I love my job! No! I really do!!! However, last week it was Obon, a special period when Japanese people believe their ancestors come back to visit them. Our school had a 6-day holiday – a rarity these days! We didn’t go away. Instead, we stayed close to home and did something special every day: dinners with friends, a BBQ at a friend’s house, “super-slide” rides in the park, a trip to the beach, and even a couple of movies on DVD. It was great!

Our school opened again on Friday. I’ve got to be honest, even though I love my job, I found going back to work a little hard because I’d had such a good holiday. I was suffering from Mondayitis on Friday!

It’s Monday. I’ve been back at work for 3 days (I even worked yesterday!) so I’m over my Mondayitis now. I’m already forgetting what fun I had on my summer holiday. I guess I’ll have to wait until…

No comments: